Purging reclaim, typically referring to the process of purging residual solvents or impurities from cannabis concentrates, is essential to ensure that the final product is safe and of high quality. Here’s how you can purge reclaim:
Important Note: This process is intended for individuals who are legally allowed to possess and use cannabis concentrates in their jurisdiction. It’s crucial to follow all local laws and regulations related to cannabis.
Materials You’ll Need:
- Reclaim (used cannabis concentrate)
- A silicone or glass container for the reclaim
- A heat source (e.g., a hot plate, griddle, or a double boiler)
- A silicone or glass dabbing tool or scraper
- A vacuum pump and chamber (optional)
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Collect Reclaim:
- Gather the reclaim from your dab rig or concentrate vaporizer. Reclaim is the leftover concentrate that has collected in your rig or vaporizer’s water chamber.
- Place Reclaim in a Container:
- Transfer the collected reclaim into a silicone or glass container. Ensure that the container is clean and free of any contaminants.
- Apply Heat:
- There are two common methods for purging reclaim:
a. Heat on a Flat Surface (Hot Plate or Griddle):
- Place your container with the reclaim on a hot plate or griddle.
- Gradually increase the temperature to a low setting. Be cautious not to overheat or burn the reclaim.
- Allow the heat to evaporate the residual solvents and impurities. You’ll notice bubbles forming and the reclaim becoming more viscous.
b. Double Boiler Method:
- Fill a saucepan with water and place it on low heat. Put your container with reclaim in the water, creating a double boiler.
- The indirect heat will gently warm the reclaim and allow the solvents to evaporate. Stir occasionally.
- Stir and Scrape:
- While applying heat, gently stir the reclaim using a silicone or glass dabbing tool or scraper. This helps in even heating and ensures that all the impurities are purged.
- Monitor the Process:
- Continue to heat and stir the reclaim until you notice that it has stopped bubbling or sizzling. This indicates that most of the solvents have evaporated.
- Cool and Collect:
- Allow the purged reclaim to cool down. It will become more stable and less viscous as it cools.
- Store Purged Reclaim:
- Once the reclaim has cooled and solidified, you can store it in an airtight container for future use.
Optional Vacuum Purging:
- If you want to achieve even higher purity, you can use a vacuum pump and chamber. The vacuum process helps remove residual solvents more effectively by lowering the pressure, which reduces the boiling point of the solvents. To do this, place your container with the reclaim in a vacuum chamber, apply vacuum, and heat gently.
- Be cautious when handling heat sources, especially open flames, and follow all safety guidelines.
- Ensure proper ventilation to prevent inhaling any fumes or gases produced during the purging process.
- Never rush the purging process to prevent overheating and degradation of the reclaim.
Remember that the quality of your final product will depend on the quality of the original concentrate, the purging process, and your attention to detail. It’s essential to prioritize safety and legal compliance when working with cannabis concentrates.