Putting a Lincoln MKZ in neutral with a dead battery can be a bit tricky, as modern vehicles often rely on electrical systems to shift gears. However, you can typically use the manual shift override feature to put the car in neutral in such situations. Here are the general steps:
Important Note: Before attempting this procedure, please refer to your vehicle’s owner’s manual for model-specific instructions and safety precautions, as the process may vary depending on the year and model of your Lincoln MKZ.
Materials You’ll Need:
- Dead battery
- Key fob (if applicable)
- Owner’s manual
- Locate the Shift Override Slot:
- In the Lincoln MKZ, there is usually a small access panel or slot on or near the gear shifter. This slot is designed for manual shift override.
- Access the Shift Override Slot:
- Use a small flathead screwdriver or a similar tool to gently pry open the access panel or slot. Be cautious not to damage the panel or surrounding area.
- Insert the Key Fob or Tool:
- Depending on the year and model of your Lincoln MKZ, you may need to insert the key fob or the tool into the shift override slot.
- Press the Brake Pedal:
- Depress the brake pedal with your foot. This step is essential for safety and ensures that the vehicle can be shifted.
- Shift to Neutral:
- While keeping the brake pedal depressed, use the key fob or tool to engage the shift override mechanism. This should allow you to move the gear shifter into the “N” (Neutral) position.
- Release the Brake Pedal:
- Once the car is in neutral, you can release the brake pedal.
- Tow or Push the Vehicle (if needed):
- If your primary goal is to move the vehicle, such as for towing or pushing it, you can now do so safely since the car is in neutral.
- Close the Shift Override Slot:
- After you’ve finished using the shift override feature, be sure to close the access panel or slot to protect it from dust and debris.
Keep in mind that using the manual shift override feature is intended for temporary situations, such as when the battery is dead, and you need to move the vehicle. Once you’ve resolved the battery issue, it’s essential to have your vehicle’s electrical system inspected and repaired by a qualified technician.
Additionally, always exercise caution when moving a vehicle without power, especially when it comes to towing or pushing it. Be aware of your surroundings and follow any applicable safety guidelines.