Changing the water in your AeroGarden is an essential maintenance task to ensure your plants receive the necessary nutrients. Follow these steps to change the water in your AeroGarden:
Materials You’ll Need:
- Fresh water
- Watering can or pitcher
- Liquid plant food (specific to the AeroGarden system)
- pH test kit (optional, but recommended)
- Access to a sink or a large container for discarding old water
- Unplug Your AeroGarden: Before you begin, unplug your AeroGarden from the electrical outlet for safety.
- Remove the Plants: Carefully lift out the plants from the AeroGarden and set them aside. Be gentle to avoid damaging the roots or plants.
- Empty the Water Reservoir: Either pour out the old water from the AeroGarden’s water reservoir or use a large container to collect and dispose of it properly. You can use this old water for other non-edible plants if you’d like.
- Rinse the Reservoir: Fill the reservoir with fresh water and rinse it thoroughly to remove any residue or debris from the previous water. Pour out the rinse water.
- Mix Plant Food: Follow the instructions on your specific AeroGarden liquid plant food to prepare the appropriate dilution. Generally, you’ll mix a specified amount of plant food with the fresh water in your watering can or pitcher.
- Fill the Reservoir: Pour the fresh water and prepared plant food mixture into the AeroGarden’s water reservoir. Fill it to the appropriate level, which is usually indicated by a fill line inside the reservoir. Do not overfill.
- Check pH (Optional): If you have a pH test kit and want to be precise, you can test the pH of the water. AeroGarden recommends maintaining a pH level of around 5.5 to 6.5 for optimal plant growth. Adjust the pH as needed using pH-up or pH-down solutions.
- Return the Plants: Carefully place the plant pods back into their respective slots in the AeroGarden. Make sure the roots are submerged in the water.
- Plug In and Restart: Plug your AeroGarden back into the electrical outlet and restart the system. Follow the instructions provided with your specific AeroGarden model for proper setup and operation.
- Monitor and Maintain: Regularly check the water level in the reservoir and top it up as needed. Also, continue to add liquid plant food according to the recommended schedule provided by AeroGarden for your specific plants.
By changing the water and providing fresh nutrients to your AeroGarden, you’ll help ensure healthy plant growth and a productive indoor garden. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines for your specific AeroGarden model for the best results.